Kildare County Council’s County Archives service is delighted to make new digitised archival material available to mark the opening of the new Naas Library and Cultural Centre. Three Minute Books of the Naas Urban District Council covering the years 1910-1914 are now available to researchers via its Online Archives service at https://kildarecoco.ie/library/KildareCountyArchivesandLocalStudies/Archives/OnlineArchives/
The volumes are handwritten and can be searched using Transkribus, handwritten text recognition (HTR). The digitisation of these volumes was funded by the County Kildare Decade of Commemorations programme 2023 and the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media under the Decade of Centenaries 2012-23 initiative.
Town Hall and The War
On the motion of Mr. Langan seconded by Mr. Dowling it was resolved – “That the use of the Town Hall and premises be granted free of charge to the Military Authorities for any purpose for which it may be required in connection with the war and that the position of all employees of the Council who may be called up for active service during the present crisis be kept open until their return.”
Extract from the Naas Urban District Council Minutes, 18 August 1914
The Naas Urban District Council (UDC) was established by the Local Government of Ireland Act 1898, replacing the Naas Town Commissioners. The Town Commissioners who were in office on 01 April 1900 continued as urban district councillors until till the election of 1902. The first meeting was held in Naas Town Hall on 03 April 1900 with Mr. William Staples, chairman, presiding. The other members present were Messrs. S. J. Brown, J.P., C.C.; N. J. Flanagan, James Conway, Richard Sargent, William Quinn, and H. J. Farrell.