The Curragh Local History Group was founded in 1993 and has a number of notable achievements to its credit. In 1995 they were involved in the restoration of the Clock Tower; they organized the Curragh Speed Festival in 1999 to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the famous International Wakefield car races held in the Curragh between 1949 and 1954 and to further mark the occasion they unveiled a monument which names the winners of each event and also a tribute to the three men who sadly lost their lives during the last race to be held at the Curragh in 1954.
Another monument to mark the first Army School of Music at the Curragh was unveiled in October 2000. On 28 August 2016, they had the official unveiling of the Curragh Families Hospital (1893-1984) Monument, to commemorate all those who passed through its doors. All of these monuments are in the Memorial Gardens in the Curragh Camp.
In 1997 the Curragh Local History Group proudly published their first book “The Curragh A Lifetime of Memories” which was highly acclaimed. Encouraged by its success, they decided to publish another book in 2002 titled “The Curragh Revisited” which also proved to be a great seller.
Chairperson: Barbara Geraghty
Committee Members: Reggie Darling, Oliver McCrossan, Bob Webster, May O’Shea, Michael Kelly, Matt McNamara, Stephen Coy and Harry Quirke.